We can go through life living the daily grind, same routine and to be honest it can be quite depressing. I want to introduce something to you that may just help, as it did me.
An important human need is purpose. What is your purpose in life?
Sometimes that’s not easy to answer.
But, the great news is that we can cultivate purpose in our life by being intentional.
“Every worth while is an uphill battle. You must be intentional” – John Maxwell
Recently, I had the pleasure of being inspired by author, speaker and leadership expert John Maxwell. For over 40 years John has written 70 books and participated in thousands of speaking engagements primarily focused on leadership.
I want to share with you my notes from John’s speech on Intentional Living. By sharing John Maxwell’s 5 steps to Intentional Living I want to inspire you to intentionally add value to others on a daily basis.
What is Intentional Living?
John Maxwell describes intentional living as, “When you intentionally use your influence every day to bring about positive change in the lives of others, you achieve significance.”
5 Steps to Intentional Living
1. Value People
- Foundation of significance is valuing people
- Every person has worth
- 99% of people have not been valued
- In a social situation LEAD BY ASKING QUESTIONS.
- Whats the best advice you have received?
- What did you learn today?
- What went well for you today?
2. Think Of Ways to Add Value to People
- Show you care
- Be intentional
Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus share some great examples on ways to add value to others:
- Create something someone can use
- Inspire someone to take action
- Lend a helping hand
- Be a shoulder to cry on
- Show someone how to do something
- Show someone a better way
- Provide a new perspective
- Lead by example
- Listen more
- Give your full attention
- Just be there for someone
3. Look For Ways to Add Value to People
- Ask what am I going to do to add value to people today?
4. Everyday Add Value to People
In the morning ask yourself:
- How am I going to add value to others today?
At night ask yourself:
- Who did I add value to today?
5. Encourage Others to Add Value to Others Today
- Encourage family, friends and work colleagues to intentionally add value to others.
Now that you have the 5 Steps to Intentional Living, your job is to take action, as well as teach your children/students, family, friends and colleagues to intentionally add value to others.
Please share how you intentionally add value to others by leaving a comment below.