Research has proven you can cultivate happiness by implementing activities into your daily, weekly and monthly routines. Do you have a happiness routine in 2017 for you, your family/class?
In 2017 have you been in a daily, weekly and monthly routine of positive habits?
So far in 2017 have you modelled positive habits in front of your children/students?
Do you know what habit activities actually help cultivate your happiness and your children’s/students happiness?
How would you feel if you discovered positive habits that increased your happiness?
How would you feel if you could make 2017 and beyond your happiest and your best year ever for you and your family/class?
I can hear you saying: Awesome, sign me up, where do I find these activities?
Look no further. Below are activities that will help cultivate your best year ever. These activities will help you see the world from a totally different point of view in a positive way.
Most importantly, model the habits of happiness in front of your children/students.
5 Habits of Happiness + 1
1. Attitude of Gratitude:
Choose one day in the week to write down 3 things that you are grateful for. You can do this in your Gratitude Journal or alternatively, you can write on a piece of paper and drop it in your family Gratitude Jar. To begin with, focus on the basic things that you have in your life such as, food, shelter, water and family etc.
- Refer to page 3 for benefits of expressing gratitude
- These can be big things or little things e.g. holiday, hot shower
- Why are you grateful for these things?
- How does it make you feel when you think about these things that you have listed?
2. Random Acts of Kindness!
During each day think of one planned or random act of kindness to complete. Alternatively plan one day in the week to complete 1 – 3 significant acts of kindness. Once you’ve done it, record it in your Gratitude Journal at the end of the day.
- Buy a coffee for someone
- Email someone saying thank you
- Pick up litter or hold a door open for someone
- Give someone a compliment
- Mow neighbours lawn
- Cook a meal for someone or volunteer at a soup kitchen
- Give money to a cause you believe in
- When will you carry out your act of kindness?
- How will you remember to carry out your act of kindness?
3. Positive Reflection
Think about a positive experience from the day and take two minutes to record it in your Gratitude Journal.
- Include every detail you can in 2 minutes
- What made me happy today and why?
- What went well for me today?
4. Get Active!
Exercise for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Whether it’s going to the gym, a fitness circuit in the lounge, going for a walk or playing sport. Just remember to get active every day.
- What are the benefits of being active?
- What is your favourite way to be active?
- How can you ensure you do exercise everyday?
5. Be a Reading Warrior!
Read at least ten pages of a book each day.
- Read non-fiction books
- Reading 10 pages a day will equate to 15 – 20 books per year!
- Find what resonates with you and take action and apply to your life
- Share learnings with someone
- 10 pages does not take long to read
Highly Recommended Books
- The Slight Edge – By Jeff Olson
- Positivity – By Barbara Frederickson
- The How to of Happiness – By Sonja Lyubomirsky
- The Compound Effect – Darren Hardy
- The Power of Habit – By Charles Duhigg
- What area of my life do I want to improve?
- What can I take away from this book and apply in my life?
- What did I learn from my reading today?
- How will I ensure I read 10 pages?
- Who can I share my learnings with?
BONUS + 1
Find 5 – 10 minutes a day to meditate.
- Meditate with your children using the Growing With Gratitude guided meditation CD
- Download Headspace. A guided mediation APP
- Google search Meditation Centres in your local area
- Find a quiet moment to train your brain to think positive thoughts
- How you felt before the meditation?
- How do you feel now?
To practice HABITS OF HAPPINESS WITH YOUR FAMILY CLICK HERE
Please leave a comment below and share your habits of happiness you have found beneficial.
Growing With Gratitude Blog
Email: [email protected]
Included in the KidsMatter Primary School’s Programs Guide